Saturday 22 November 2014

Circular No 681








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 22 of November 2014 No. 681
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Have a look at
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Jan 9, 2013
Dear Mount Saint Benedict Brother,
You should all know that His Excellency Justice Anthony Amos Lucky, Chaconia Medal (Gold), has done Trinidad and Tobago proud once again with his reappointment (for another nine year term) as a judge to the UN International Law of the Sea Tribunal.
Anthony's eminence as a jurist and legal scholar is unquestioned as is his commitment to public service, having served on several NGO'S including as the President of The Trinidad and Tobago Scout Association. Nothing more could have been expected from a former Second Mount Saint Benedict Queen's Scout Award holder. When he answered the call to the bench, he did so at considerable financial cost. He served with distinction and was elevated to the Trinidad and Tobago Court of Appeal. 
The rare generosity which he exhibited in making his private residence available to the San Fernando District Scout Council for the hosting of events was touching.
I know Justice Lucky and his wife as friendly, humble and easily approachable, non-partisan, people, who have never thought themselves too big to lend their support and gravitas to the work of the Abbey School Alumni Association, in the process helping us gain credibility and traction. For this I and the other Old Boys involved in organizing events and activities are eternally grateful. 
Anthony was an accomplished sportsman as a young man and remains an avid sports fan. Although I do not know anything of his family life, all indications are that he and Mrs. Lucky are exemplary parents and grandparents. The monks at The Abbey are all familiar with Justice lucky and his wife. An avid churchgoer, he was one of the few old boys who attended the funeral of Bro. Joseph Perez last year.
Sincerely,
Joseph
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
Feb 12
George,
Thank you for your candid comment about the issue being discussed.
The points I have been making, and which I believe Jon Golding has also made (I have not seen anything from Ladislao, so I cannot comment on his input) is firstly, that Joe Berment certainly has the right to express himself on any subject, BUT, the timeliness of his comments is in question, as Chairman of the ASAA, he should represent the views of the entire membership while making a public announcement such as he was at the time doing.
I fail to see bigotry in this.
I have held Joe Bement in high esteem for many years, and I always try to get together with him and his wife during their occasional, and sometimes annual, visits to Ontario.
But principles must abide, and I believe it is my right too, and my duty to point out to him, as I had done privately and with respect, that he had acted inappropriately in this instance.
Sincerely,
Nigel Boos B.Sc., MBA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-02-12, at 9:25 PM,
<drgal@laquisholdings.com> wrote:
I was deeply impressed at the empathy and understanding of Fr. Imamshah, Don Mitchell, Colm and others on Joe sharing with his "brothers" the pain he suffered as a student at TAS/MSB.
There was no animosity, no hatred but an enduring hurt from which he sought release and closure by simply sharing his very personal experiences.
What he received instead was a feeding frenzy from the people with whom he felt safe enough to confide a very traumatic period in his life.
I am very disappointed in the responses by some.
MSB was not Nirvana.
It was not the perfect time in our lives.
It was not meant to be.
Some of may choose to romanticize this period of their lives but, in reality, there was good and there was bad but overall we gained and moved on, baggage and all.
If we in fact do have a bond, it is tenuous at best and can only survive with tolerance and understanding and acceptance of our diversity and diverse experiences.
I applaud Joe for the strength of character that allowed him to share.
I apologise to him for the bigotry shown by a few and assure him that the vast majority of old boys of TAS/MSB understand and empathize and appreciate that he had the courage to open the closet to allow some of the skeletons out.
It was not a perfect world up there but it was a good world.
I am not Joe's advocate.
I barely know the man but I now see his soul and it is good.
You all may feel free to share this with the old boys if you think it worthy of sharing.
God bless,
George A.Laquis, B.Sc., MDCM (Mcgill), FAAFP.
------------------------------------------------------------------.
19
From Glen Mckoy
RE: A Golden Circular No 600
Dear Sir George & the All Knight Circle.
The Clock is working well, because every one of us play our part, which ever piece you are on this Chess Board the Knights of "White Stones", Mt. Tabor.
Some of us knew, when we left the Mount, this reunion would never end.
Long Live Our club.
We feed off each other, we are a Golden Circle of Friends, not one of us volunteered to do this, a Spirit came to me and told me to write.
What's your excuse?
You cannot pay us to do what we do.
We have something good, why not water it and see it grow.
I think we have a Good Crop this year, we should Harvest It.
I have come the conclusion, this Club have tried every avenue for a united body, we remain 202 strong in this Club now, from 2012 people, who live & worked, as teachers, cooks, cleaners, gardeners, nurses, drivers, bursars & Day Boys ha! ha!.
We are men of honour; we got respect from everyone of these people.
We were living in a world in another world, those of us that document and archive this very important part of Trinidad history, that have spread across the world, only out of respect to those that share of this once in a life time Shangri-la,
The least we can do & least we forget.
The Abbey School, Mt. Saint Benedict, Tunapuna, Trinidad & Tobago.W.I.
Nigel is our Present, I cannot even start to write about Nigel, Our Knight of Light, also Our List Maker & Book Keeper, a very important role to hold, we cannot acknowledge a member unless he is in our books.
Nigel is Understood, a Great Big Brother, like Ladislao, Jon, Don, George, Clive, Atilla, Anthony, Freddy & So Many.
We will all die, but how many of us will make the Full Circle, I love you guys, you live life in a rich way, in true friendship, we share our ups & downs, we care for each other, and I really feel that in my heart.
I would like to say, I could not have chosen better friends, brothers or colleagues,
This Golden Circle, Best of The Best, Cheers to whatever we do, or wherever we go, I'll be there, Forever Your Friend Glen.
Big Thanks for all the acknowledgements, its goods to know, we have touched some souls. Long Live Our Mount, Gracias, Adios
Glen McKoy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 08:33:24 -0500
Rightful recognition by Anthony-Cintra of all the great work done by Glenn. 
I would like to recognize Nigel for all of his great contributions through the years.
> -----Original Message-----------------------------------------
From: Anthony Cintra
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:43 AM7
Glen demonstrates courage, persistence, determination and through circulars a club of past students-young, not so young and "older".
Kind regards
Anthony
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Patrick Baichoo
28 de enero de 2014 16:50
Hi Ladislao,
Remember me? I am "Egan" Baichoo who sat next to you in study hall during 1960.
You were always tinkering with electronic stuff during that study time.
I kept an eye out for the patrolling padres and as they approached our desk, I would give you a nudge so that you could hide your project.
Wow, has time gone by.
I keep track of the MSB chatter, but do not get involved because I only spent one year at MSB and as such, don't know most of the old boys.
Anyway, take care and maybe we will meet again.
Take care and God bless.
Egan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Patrick Baichoo
17 Mar
Hi Ladislao and others,
Here are my pics of the mini reunion.
I humbly apologize for not sending them out before this time.
I have lots of excuses for not doing so, but I will refrain from using any.
Better late than never.
Ladislao, your comment of me not wanting to write spurred me to write.
Yes, I do remember our study hall connection. I was the “lookout” for the patrolling padres who, as they approached us,
I would give you a nudge and you would put it away, return your books to the desk and become fully involved in your studies.
After the patrol had passed, you resumed your electronic work.
You were busy making all sorts of electronic devices, one of which you constantly used in the yard, subtly turning it on and disrupting the radios of our buddies.
I don’t know if anyone (save myself) ever found out what you were doing and that you were the cause of their radios losing reception.
Now this disclosure of mine about you will be known around the world.
Good luck handling the flood of emails to you from those who encountered the electronic static interruptions.
On another note, I follow the email MSB chat and enjoy it very much.
Due to my only being at Mount for 1 year, I did not get the chance to make many long term friends.
Nigel Boos is the only one I “buddied” around with.
Thank heaven he is in easy proximity to me.
Stay well and hopefully we can meet face to face soon.
God bless
Patrick Egan Baichoo, Broker of Record/President
pbaichoo@trebnet.com
Maregan Realty Inc., Brokerage
416 439 5558
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------. 
From: Ladislao Kertesz [mailto:kertesz11@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:20 PM
Dear Cornel, Terrence,
Good for writing about the meeting.
None of the others did as yet and I presume that they are not going to write either.
But I need to get the contents of the little box, photographed item by item.
Also scan the documents.
The general photos of the items make my mouth droll.
But they are not good for the general archive due to its low resolution.
Especially the scout badges, only Jan has sent a couple of photos but the rest of the KING or QUEEN Scouts just do not remember anything and have nothing to show.
Not even memories of the Camps that were reported as GREAT or other events.
Finally I get to see Egan, after 49 years.
He sat next to me during the last year at the study hall at the back row left.
He is on the list since 2002 but is not inclined to write, I am glad he is well and has a beautiful wife, please tell him.
I can only ask you to be an intermediate for this job, as you are closer than I.
Also remember that if you get an interesting email, please FW it to me if you believe that it can forward the cause.
This is the "material" I talked about.
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And, now to the photos.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Bandit p06 The Early Times
03DM0027JBE, Joe Berment
73SC0010SCOUTGRP,
05HV0002HVE, Herman Verkruissen






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.