Saturday 8 November 2014

Circular No 679







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 8 of November 2014 No. 679
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is a story on fist fighting at the Mount.  Do you remember any that you would like to share??
Also, some additional information on Wayne Vincent Brown that was not published before.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From:  Glen Mckoy  <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com>
Date: 29 October 2014 15:51
Hello, My Dear Big Brother, Sir Trevor,
So nice to hear from you.  And, Thank You for the reply. 
It must have been a good fight.
This is strange, the story you write below is exactly what I went into Fr. Bernard office for in 1969.
I never said a word. 
Two guys were sent home, a couple of us got off, no evidence or witnesses ha! ha!, it was not about a fight.
I included, Sir Garnet Diaz in the conversation, now living in Hamilton, he is only 70 yrs old, but knows a lot of stories. 
What about Sir Authur Knaggs, he might also have an idea, if not, he knows a fella he can ask, the 1st. boy scout on the mount, he lives here in Nova Scotia, but if the fight suppose to remain a secret, so be it.  
If you guys think hard enough, somebody will remember ha! ha!  
I don't care how long ago it was, if it was a good fight, somebody must know, ah wonder if Cutty know?  ha! ha!
Cheers Mis Amigos -  
Adios Glen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Trevor Evelyn
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 4:22 PM
Glen,
Yes I do remember a fight at Mount sometime in the early years but do not remember who the fighters were.
I however remember, Father Bernard trying to find out who the two boys were.
I was called in to his office and told to say who they were but he got nothing from me for I said that I was not there.
It was quite a thing for nothing like that had happened before.
It sure was a long time ago.
     Trevor  E. 
     1945 to 1949
----------------------------------------------------------------.
Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
17 de mar.
Hi, Chris,
How good to hear your news. 
I am sure that Ladislao will be glad of it for the Circulars, so that all the Old Boys who know you can be brought up to date.
Ladislao has not really dropped you from the Circular. 
He no longer sends it to all the 1,500 Old Boys with email addresses. 
He sends it to me, and I publish it on the Website for which I previously gave you the URL. 
They are all there, every week from their commencement in 2001.
Maggie and I have been living in Anguilla since we moved there from St Kitts in 1976. 
I graduated in London in 1971 and Maggie and I went to St Kitts where we got married in April 1972. 
After five years, I accepted a four-year contract as Magistrate in Anguilla. 
Then, I went in to private practice in December 1980. 
Maggie joined our Chambers as Manager several years later, and we provided legal services entirely in Anguilla from that time. 
I retired and sold my office in 1999 after my heart gave out and I had a pacemaker inserted. 
I did not expect to be around very long after that, as the men in our line of the family usually die of natural causes in our fifties. 
But, here I am at 68 still going strong, if that is not too exaggerated a name for it. 
I joined the High Court bench in 1999 and retired five years later in 2004 after working in all 9 countries of our jurisdiction. 
I taught High School law and ran a little one-man legal aid clinic out of the Social Welfare Department until 2010. 
Then, all investment income having dried up due to the World-wide recession, I accepted an invitation to join the Court of Appeal on an acting basis to develop a little cash-flow. 
I could not be permanently appointed by that time having passed the compulsory retirement age. 
I retired from that job at the end of December gone. 
I am considering re-starting the legal aid clinic:  Anguilla Legal Aid Services and Anguilla Legal Aid Clinic. 
Save that I never had the guts to call it by that interesting name. 
The acronym amuses me.
I am in Trinidad at this moment meeting with the Organising Committee planning the Grand Reunion of the Abbey School Mount St Benedict October 9-12 2014. 
With any luck, Juliette and you can be here for it. 
My brother in law is visiting Anguilla from Wales, and he tells me that with the horrendous tax on tickets to the Caribbean, he and his wife found it cheaper to fly via New York.  However, because of US health costs your health insurance for the trip will go up if you fly via New York.
I return to Anguilla at the crack of dawn on Wednesday.
Maggie and I do the cruise thing each year as well. 
We have done two trans-Atlantic “repositioning” cruises on Royal Caribbean boats, and last year did the Harrich to Boston trip via Normandy, Ireland, the Faroes and Iceland. 
We have got the cruise bug.
Hope to see you all again soon.
Don
------------------------.
Chris Date <chris.date@tesco.net>
17 de mar.
Don,
Thank you for the info about the Circular.
I have been delinquent in my contacts with the MSB Association and as a result Laszlo has dropped me.
By copy of this I will suggest to him that I be “given back a life” and will promise to do better.
Everything is well with Juliet and I.
Aches and pains are never far away but we fight on.
We are living just outside London near Watford, Hertfordshire.
I continue to involve myself in a financial advisory role with a few companies, and also supervising accountancy/bookkeeping on a visiting basis for others.
I enjoy the involvement.
I play golf regularly at the club I belong to- Moor Park Golf Club.
We go down to our place in Spain as often as we can- leaving to go on March 26 for 10 days.
We enjoy cruising and seem to do it once a year at least- 2012 was Alaska in April, and then September 2013 was the Western Med.
Here are brief updates about family members-
Laura and her husband Robert Beadon live not far from us and her children are doing well- Amy obtained her degree from Bournemouth University in Event Management & Marketing last year and is now working with Laura in her business.
Jesse is in his “A” level period. Jamie is enjoying life as an energetic 11 year old.
Mark and his wife Kim are about 40 minutes drive from us.
They returned to the UK about 2 years ago after spending more than 10 years overseas with the British Foreign Office.
We enjoyed visiting with them during that time in Moscow- Russia, Dhaka- Bangladesh & Manila- Philippines.
Their son Luke is at Southampton University in his 3rd year of a 4 year Masters degree course in Astrophysics.
Alex is finishing his A levels and is probably going into the RAF with a Degree Scholarship- not sure which University he will attend.
We are very proud of them all.  
I see Gerard Pampellonne quite regularly. He is about 30 minutes from us. We chat often.
We have not been to Trinidad for a few years.
Robert & Margaret and also Paul & Kathleen were with us on the cruises last year.
Hope things are well with you and yours. We send our love.
All the very best,
Chris
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell [mailto:idmitch@anguillanet.com
Sent: 17 March 2014 12:37
Hello, Chris,
I notice the latest Circular No 643 has a photo of you as “unidentified”. 
You may want to say hello to Ladislao, and ask him to note the name. 
You might also like to make a comment on the website to the same effect.
Hope all is well with you and yours.
Don
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sep 22, 2009
One memory of Wayne on the Hill is that we were No 10 and 11 in Woodpeckers Patrol (I was No 11).
As such, we got to chop wood, clean fowl, fetch water and other such vital and undesirable tasks for the patrol:
I am not sure of our badge achievements.
Another is his having spent an entire school holiday (Easter?) in the Savannah checking Horse form and subsequently coming out on top in the later Race meeting.
He later told me that he enjoyed the experience, but that it was too much effort for little reward. I took that to mean that his betting float was small. 
God rest you, Wayne, 
Chris (aka Pupsy).
------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Re: Wayne Vincent Brown (R.I.P.)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:11:44 -0400
I have very fond memories of life at Mount with Wyane as we both very keen on races and we spent hours on the subject.
I remember him being forced to play a cricket match against St. Lawrence and he objected to having to play.
First ball from Owen Serrette cut his finger in two and that was that.
His finger healed for him to become one of the best Caribbean writers in recent history.
God rest his soul.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: Wayne Vincent Brown (R.I.P.)
Yes, real, real sorry to hear this.....I had hoped to meet him again.....apart from his incisive writing and dour but amiable personality, I will remember him for the Juniors A (remember that category?) St. Francis vs St Lawrence football game where he played right wing and Christopher Date, left wing.  Cokie Joe could run fast and Date had the most natural left foot I ever saw.  I played centre forward and both of them kept crossing the ball for me to score 4.
May his soul rest in peace.
David
---------------------------------------------.
Brian Lewis <brian@aclaworks.com> wrote:
Date: Wednesday, September 16, 2009, 4:27 PM
I sat next to him at Mount for one term - his work will live on
Brian
---------------------------------------------------------.
On Sep 16, 2009, at 3:09 PM, Peter Laughlin wrote:
My God, he was a young man,!
Please extend my sympathies to his family.
He was a great contributor to the Caribbean, and a good friend to all who knew him.
All the best,
Peter G. Laughlin
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel P. Boos [mailto:nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:58 AM
Dear Mike,
Thank you for including me in this message.
I am very sad to hear about the death of our good friend, Wayne Vincent-Browne. 
May he rest in peace.
Nigel P. Boos
95 Warwick Ave.,
Ajax, ON L1Z 1L5
CANADA
Ph: (905) 426-8999
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 15-Sep-09, at 10:47 PM,
Michael Howard wrote:
It is with sadness that I must advise that Wayne Vincent Brown (Cokie Joe) passed away of lung cancer this morning in Jamaica, where he had made his home.
Lisa please pass on to Jean and Roger Henderson
Regards,
Michael Howard.
------------------------------------------------------------------.
Photos:
Bandit p04 the early years
03SC1980CMASCO, Christopher Marothy and Salvador Coscarart
03DM0036MDOWFE, Michael Dórnellas and wife
08CJ0002CTE, Chandra Teelungsingh






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.