Saturday 1 November 2014

Circular No 678









Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 1 of November 2014 No. 678
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
We have lost touch with the following Old Boys.  Can anyone help, maybe a contact information???
Achong Alfredo
Albert Chin
Albert Gavin
Archer John
Ariyanayagam Dr. Denesh
Arrindell Robert
Blanc Sonny
Brunton Desmond
Charles Ronald Dr.
Gianetti Michael
Gioannetti Roger
Peters Allan
Ross Clinton
Also, see:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
Oct 24
Gentlemen,
I have to bring you news once again of another MSB Old Boy who has gone home to his Maker.
I was advised about his death only today, by Fr. Imamshah, who conducted Raymond’s funeral rites.
The attached eulogy is a quick summary of his life and loves, and we should all feel proud to have had another good man in our midst, who we can definitely refer to as our brother and friend.
May he rest in peace.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: October 24, 2014 at 3:41:01 PM EDT
From: Father Harold Imamshah <frharold12@gmail.com>
Don, Nigel, Tony and Joe,
Here are some notes from Raymond de Cambra's Eulogy and some other attachments from Roy news (Royal Bank).
---------- Forwarded message -------------------------------------------
From: cheryl gomes <gomesfamilyhome@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Raymond was 82, died at Westshore Hospital. Born in Guyana, lived most of his life in T'dad.
He became a member of our family, when Daddy introduced him to us.
They played tennis together at Marine Square Tennis Club, which was situated in the compound where the Catholic News is today.
He was generous with his time, talent to a fault, if indeed generosity could be considered a fault.
He took care of his family in Guyana from the first salary he received, and considered that a priority.
He loved carpentry, and did woodwork as a Senior Cambridge subject, at Mount St. Benedict.
This he inherited from his grandfather, who came from Madera.
He would take discarded toys, make them new again, before giving them away. 
He had a relationship with Matelot, which started many years ago, having met Sr. Rosario Hackshaw (Rosie to all of us)
Every Christmas he would make up food parcels, but these were not ordinary parcels delivered in a paper bag. No. no!!
Boxes had to be painted either red or green, (Christmas colours) nicely taped, and a ribbon and tag placed on top of the box.
In addition each box was accompanied by a Christmas stocking, a template was made so that each stocking was exactly the same. 
All stockings were filled with pencil, pen, ruler, sharpener, colouring book, colour pencils, toys, sweets, etc., and tied with a red ribbon.
These were sent to Matelot..
A real perfectionist! 
He would make garbage bins, one was not enough, so everyone in the neighborhood got a garbage bin.
He loved a practical joke.
He would collect used clothing from families, and one Christmas he took a shirt that he had received from a particular family, wrapped it very nicely in Christmas paper and returned it to the giver!
He was Mount St. Benedict's first King's Scout.
Ray always gave of his best, a man of integrity, generous, hard working, always willing to help or pass on his knowledge to junior officers.
I received this email from Rodney Prasad which sums up Ray very nicely:
"I felt a genuine sadness when I heard of Raymond's passing.
My opinion of him principally a result of my professional interaction with him, is that he was a very decent man, always willing to listen, fair and objective, no malice, no agenda, and all this supported with a genuine sense of humour."
I suppose that you did not expect such a long winded introduction to Ray, who was referred to as "The Skipper" throughout the bank.
Anyway I am attaching (1) a copy of a Roynews publication on his retirement, and a (2) The Dom Basil Matthews Episode.
These were his thoughts on the subject as a 16 year old boy.
I like the line "the height of ingratitude."
Cheryl
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:27 PM
Hi, Tony,
I finally found an internet cafe that is connected to the internet.
I am clearing the debris out of my yard by myself as it is not very heavy work, and it is good healthy exercise!
I don’t expect the main house to be reconnected to the power for another two or three months (based on past experience).
But, the guest shack is on a separate line that is usually restored in quick time, so we have moved in temporarily.
I have to bucket water from the main house to containers in the guest shack, and that is more exercise than I enjoy.
The pool man has put some algae destroyer in the water, and he tells me that it will last without the pump for the foreseeable future, which will be a relief. 
I am supposed to be hosting 54 High School Law Students to the annual Mitchell A-Level Law Pool Party Monday after next during the Mid-Term Break.
Maggie says not if the power is not back.
Keep well.
Don
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:04 PM
Don,
You sustained more damage than I thought.  I hope that it follows its projected path and goes north.
Tony
-----Original Message-----
From: Don Mitchell idmitch@anguillanet.com
Sent: Thu, Oct 16, 2014 6:42 pm
This will be short, as it is Maggie sending for me from her Samsung.
Our phone is working, but we are with no electricity and the wifi modem does not work. 
Hope to find a working internet cafe tomorrow so I can send and receive email for the first time since Sunday.
The house is fine. Later
Don
-------- Original message --------
Date:16/10/2014 13:49 (GMT-04:00)
I was watching it since I still have houses and two condos in Miami. but it seems to be heading north now thank heavens.  But Bermuda is in for it.  That Cat. 4 hurricane now has 145 mph winds.  I saw what was minimal damage to your garden, but was there any damage to your house?
Tony
-----Original Message----
From: Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
Sent: Thu, Oct 16, 2014 12:54 pm
Tony,
Welcome back! You missed Hurricane Gonzalo in Anguilla.
The photo is of our garden the morning after
Don 
-------- Original message ----------------------------------------------
Date:16/10/2014 09:52 (GMT-04:00)
Don,
I am back in Guyana having completed my task in the US so I am available for arguing at your convenience.
Tony
------------------------------------------------------------------.
Glen Mckoy
Oct 19
Don,
Glad to hear you guys are O.K.  Obviously a big inconvenience until things get back to normal.
Take care, thank you for sharing, best regards to Maggie and you Sir Don,
Adios Glen. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Kazim Abasali
Oct 19
Yes, as Glen shared, you all are physically well, just the clearing up and tidying up.
Hope electricity comes back sooner than it usually does.
Take care.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Leary & Gillian O'Connor <gilleary@raafawa.net.au>
1/1/12
You may get this three times or not at all as having a real problem with our new email system. 
Before we left Booragoon, I raced over to where our computer was still installed and tried to send off the change of address before I lost my server. 
I should know that trying to do anything in a rush, especially when dealing with IT is totally beyond me, so ended up by sending some people the wrong email address. 
I have manually made a new address book as could not import the one I have to this crap system of web mail. 
Have tried a couple of times to send the addresses off without success but expecting Lisa here any minute now so hope she can do it for me.
In case you do get this, would like to wish you all a very Happy 2012.  Also to tell you that our mailing address is
Apt 544 AFME, Bull Creek Drive, Bull Creek WA 6149 and our phone number is 93120544.
Hope to hear from you all in the course of time either by snail mail, phone or email.
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
Paul Zeven <paul.zeven@me.com>
12/8/11
Dear Ladislao and Nigel,
As you may have noticed, last May my gmail had been hacked and there were some fake fraud messages that you may have received at the time.
Although the security in the gmail address was restored quickly (and expanded) by Google, I now use the gmail as "read-only", and consult it irregularly.
I have a new email address, which please put in the data base: 
paul.zeven@me.com,
I hope that all is okay with you in these turbulent times.
Best regards,
Paul Zeven
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
otto williams
otto.williams@yahoo.co.uk 
Many thanks for your email,
My address is in Watford in the UK ,
I am working lecturing at a College in West London
I was thinking of trying to arrange a meeting with oldboys based here in the UK ,
I attended the Mount between 1977 and 1979 only.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a boarder, and have fond memories of the staff and pupils.
It would be nice to meet some UK-based old boys. 
Best regards
Otto Williams
------------------------------------------------------------------.
Photos:
Bandit
03SC1985BNSCO
12MH0001MHAGRP, During Fr. Cuthbert’s celebrations
66UN0001CLASS1966, with more UNKNOWNS






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.