Saturday 21 June 2014

Circular No 659








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 21 of June 2014 No. 659
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
Latest information on Peppers.
And the changing of the guard for the DATABASE
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
On May 22, 2014, at 1:22 PM, Nigel Boos wrote:
Thank you for your early response, Neil, and for agreeing to allow Kazim to manage the dataBase. With this note, therefore, I shall believe that the matter is now ended, and Kazim will take over this responsibility.
Have a great summer.
Nigel
Kaz, well - here you go, my friend. Neil has agreed to step aside, and so the ball is now squarely in your court. Good luck with it and please feel free to call on me, should you need any help / advice - which I honestly do not believe shall be necessary.
FYI, here's the current status of the Database: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1717336/MSBOBs%20database.xlsx
Best wishes.
Nigel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-05-22, at 12:41 PM, nchacha57@aol.com wrote:
Nigel, I have no problem with Kazim taking over since he is more computer literate.  My neighbour did come and install all that I needed.  I will also be doing a bit of travelling this summer. All the best.
Neil
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
May 21
Kaz,
It was great chatting with you yesterday. Thank you for your relentless calls until you were able to find me. I appreciate your kindness and concern.
I do not recall receiving your earlier email of April 30th, and I would certainly have noted it, since it appears that you would have fit the bill perfectly, in terms of accepting responsibility for the MSB dataBase. But now, I thank you for your email, and I am thrilled that you would offer your kind help.
As you would by now have learned, Neil Charles has also offered his assistance in maintaining the dB, but he has admitted that he would need to learn Excel, something that his neighbor had offered to teach him. So far as I know, he hasn't yet begun his first class - but I might be mistaken.
If Neil is willing to hand over the responsibility to you, I would have no objection at all, and I believe that the file will be in good hands.
By copy of this email, I am requesting of Neil that he consider your offer, and decide whether he would like to continue to manage the dataBase, or whether he would prefer to hand it over to you. I'm happy either way.
Neil - please let me know what you'd like to do. Kazim has offered, and would be able to take over immediately, with no need of any training.
Gentlemen, I appreciate all the goodwill I have seen and felt in this little matter, and I look forward to handing over the reins ASAP. 
Thank you, both you, Kaz, and you, Neil, for offering to help out.
With respect,
Nigel
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-05-21, at 12:15 AM, KAZIM ABASALI wrote:
Hello Nigel,
Copied below is my email that I responded to you concerning the turning over of the MSB OB Database. My response was done on April 30th as is shown. Your email was sent to me on my general email account: empowerwithart@gmail.com
In my response to your email, I expressed an interest in helping out, since I have experience in database management (with Holy Cross College Alumni, I created one for them). 
I did not receive a reply from you, and tried phoning you. Only yesterday we spoke by phone, so I could get more details from you personally. Because of my experience I feel I can take over the responsibilities now, since Neil Charles expressed his interest, but at present does not have the skills. So, we all can work together, and I can communicate with Neil as we go along and get him up to speed.
So Nigel, can you send this email out to the Boys for me kindly, I would appreciate it. Also, this database that we are now facilitating is in your honour, and we give glory to God for opportunity to serve, as you did with so much labour of love and pure dedication.
We thank and appreciate you greatly. Words cannot express our deep gratitude to you for your work. God continue to bless you and family.....
Kaz
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
May 5
Hello, Phillip, Don, Jon, Arthur, Hudson, Bandit, Eddie, Paul, Juan, Chris, Brian, Garnet, Tim, Jeansie, Peter, Eden, Gwenny, Peter, David (Q), and anyone else who might yet write and to whom I gratefully extend my thanks.
Thank you all for your kind words. I sincerely appreciate your sentiments, and I must admit that I have mixed feelings in giving up my self-appointed "responsibilities". I felt that a tool such as we've together created, with input from everyone, would be a valuable asset for us all to have, to be able to understand the goings-on of our friends and classmates of long ago, and yes, I think that that objective was a worthwhile one which has substantially been met. 
We've re-established lost contacts, re-acquainted ourselves with old friends, enjoyed a few evenings together at reunions in Trinidad, Venezuela, Canada and the U.S., funded a few small projects (Kitty Marcus, the 20 TT Deacons, etc.), remembered those who have left us and gone to God, argued about stuff, shared jokes and the occasional risqué photos, discovered personal histories, and all of this has been magnificently managed through the guidance and Circulars of Ladislao Kertesz, the advice of Lionel Roberts (our former Bro. Vincent) and the continued commitment of so many who have kept our correspondence at a superior level, and at a high level of respect. 
I believe we should be proud of ourselves. We've achieved a lot and we can hold our heads high.
Now, I need to let everyone know - one person has stepped out of the line and has offered to try to take over the reins of the dataBase. I think we all owe him a debt of gratitude, and I shall do my best to explain what I've done and generally to pass on the file to him. It may take us a little while to reorganize ourselves, but I would ask everyone to give your fullest support to Neil Charles (Class of 1973) at nchacha57@aol.com.
Neil has been a regular contributor to the many "involvements" in which we've either found / placed ourselves. He's from a generation of students younger than myself (1973 vs. 1960) and he should be able to inject a new sense of purpose or commitment among those younger members of our group who we older fellas do not know. 
So saying, Neil, I wish you well and I encourage you to stiffen your back and take up your new charge with determination and courage. You'll have fun with the project and your effort will be gratefully received by the MSB OB crowd.
With respect,
Nigel
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-05-05, at 5:47 AM, Phillip Clegg wrote:
Hi Nigel,
I just wanted to say that it is both very regrettable as well as understandable that you have found it necessary to have to give up your wonderful website. I feel absolutely certain that all of the alumni like myself, will be very sad to think that you have given it up, as such a thing is unlikely to happen again, and whilst your website was in action it performed a great service to all of the old boys from MSM by bringing them into contact with each other, and this of course would apply equally to all, even to those like myself who preferred to keep their heads below the rest of the crowd and not wish to make people aware of their presence, but nevertheless to be able to keep in touch with all of the goings-on through the facility of the website. 
I cannot imagine that anyone else will be prepared to take on the tremendous workload that you took on so generously and cheerfully Nigel. I would suggest that you don't take the lack of response from the old boys as being a lack of interest or of a lack of their appreciation for the great work that you have done, but instead an awareness of the fact that perhaps you had done such a tremendous job of it all that it might seem that no one else would be able to do the job anywhere as well as you had, even if that someone could find the time to devote to the doing of it. You would be a very hard act to follow Nigel.
It does seem a great pity that after doing all of the work that you had in taking the website to the great heights that you had, that it will simply cease and that we will be left with only a memory of what a great website it had been, a situation being to my mind rather a bit like the story of MSB itself, in that MSB was to my mind a great and wonderful institution that had played an important part in formative years of my own life, as no doubt it had in the lives of most of the other MSB old boys. Now unfortunately it is no longer the MSB that we knew all of those years ago. I have always hated endings as they are always so sad - it seems to me that there is always something akin to a funeral about endings in general - it is always hard to say goodbye to the things that have become part of one’s life. That's life of course - with its beginnings and endings - the blossoming fort and the inevitable wilting of the beautiful thing that once was, much like ourselves really as it is plain for all to see that none of us is the vital, effervescent creature that we once were when we ran full tilt up and down the slopes of MSB as children, for now instead it is the case that I must always walk as carefully as I can so as not to end up flat on my back or something worse - gone are the days of the 'mighty man' I'm afraid, like all things both good and bad there must always be an end, sometimes mercifully so of course. 
At any rate Nigel, I would like to thank you personally for all of the good work that you had put into your website and I do wish you and your family all of the very best in the future.
My very best wishes to you and to yours,
Phillip Clegg    
-----------------------------------------------------------.
On Friday, 2 May 2014, 17:11, Jackie Boos <jackie@alittlesweet.ca> wrote:
Gentlemen,
I have received no indication of interest from anyone, to continue the maintenance of the MSB Old Boys' database. I am therefore ceasing all activity on this project, effective immediately.
Wishing everyone all success in everything that you do. May God bless us all.
Over and out.
Nigel
--------------------------------------------------------------.
Kazim Abasali <empowerwithart@gmail.com>
Apr 30
Hi Nigel,
First of all thank you for all your hard work and dedication over the years. We definitely appreciate you. How can we support you going forward. Is it possible to phase out instead of an abrupt change over of personnel? Kindly let us know how we can break down the whole project into manageable parts. Since I am accustomed and have experience in this work, and did a database for Holy Cross College, talk some more with me. We can share some workload with you as the overall director. We at least want you to retain the honor our dear friend.
Blessings to you.......Kazim
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:31 PM,
Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com> wrote:
Hello, Nigel,
Your database is a vital resource for the Old Boys. I really hope you will find a safe pair of hands to turn it over to. It is not going to be easy.
The likelihood is that after you close up shop the database will die. That is what happens to most 'labours of love'. Their continued success depends more on personal commitment than on importance or significance. The most trivial and useless concepts can have a life of generations, while the most revealing and significant ones fade away in time.
What it will take (in my humble view) is:
(a). A wizard with Excel (or one who has a handy child or grandchild who is a wizard);
(b) An avid correspondent who does not turn a hair at bombarding each and every one of us with requests for updates;
(c) A genius at 'Dropbox', (which I regret to say even with your coaching I have found impossible to use);
(d) An obsessive personality (which is the only guarantee for constant and diligent attention to all of the above).
You must not be offended if the new 'manager' of the database makes a few changes.  Every manager wants to stamp the work with his own personality, and never leaves the project exactly as it was when he inherited it.
You have done a really good job at it over the years.  Please don't give up on it until you are sure you have a dependable successor.
Sincerely,
Don
---------------------------------------------------------------.
Thanks Nigel for a job well done.
I didn't spend enough time at the "Prison on the Hill" as some of us called it,  to form too many friendships. Got friendly with the BG group mainly because we saw each other during the holidays. 
We will be in TO in June/July, I'll give you a call.
All the best    Richard Driver
=========
Hi Nigel, I understand the difficulty of this enormous task over the many years that you have faithfully done, and I say to you sir THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU.
'"BANDIT" 
=========
So sad, Nigel.
Good luck in all your continuing affairs.
Hope all is in fact well with you.
Don
=========
Hello Nigel,
As I don't access my gmail very often, I only just saw your emails ref somebody else taking over the database.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that (even though "retired" I am rather occupied in my consulting role), but I thought I would let you know that I respect (and understand) your decision and that I appreciate what you have done for the Abbey OB's in the past years.
I hope that somebody that has the time, know-how and interest will still step up to the plate to take over the responsibility. You and Ladislao have been important linking-pins for the OB's.
Best rgds
Paul Zeven
p.s. I enjoyed very much the Abbey "over-flight" recording with the drone that you sent around recently!
==========
Hi Nigel
You have done a sterling job and it's a shame that none of the old boys has recognized this tireless effort, there has always been an element of grumbling form a certain quarter of the group and some that type absolute rubbish and yet some with newsworthy items; I suppose you can't please them all.
Take care Nigel, take it from me, it's a thankless task. Hope Mum is on the mend and by now you a new grandfather.  Hope to see you later in the year when Betty and I visit Toronto, would like to see Jackie and the family.
God bless.
Regards 
Eddy Lloyd              (+44)7 900 616 107 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Nigel
You are right to close the book since if the so called association had any substance they would be the first to respond.
So let’s see where it goes from here. I would pick it up but have too much on my plate right now.
Jon Golding
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel,
Thank you for maintaining the database. I am not sure whether I will be in Mississauga/Pickering this year, but I hope to attend one of the reunions.
David Quong
--------------------------------------------------------.
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the work you have put into the many projects you have managed. I can't commit at this time but I hope there is someone that can carry on the blessed work that you have done.
God Bless you & your family,
Hudson, Lynda & Gino McKoy
----------------------------------------------------------------.
Hey Nigel.....Sorry to see the poor response. There is a saying in the USA “No good deed is ever rewarded”......Hope someone still picks it up. God bless you and yours, 
George Mickiewicz
------------------------------------------------------------.
I am sorry Nigel . May God bless You too as well. Thank You For being so patient. You have done an excelente Job . Give My regards to Jackie .
Salvador . God bless.
------------------------------------------------------------.
You have done a great job, Nigel, and thank you for keeping in touch with me. Unfortunately my brain can't keep up with the times!!
All the best, Arthur.
---------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel, send more info on this data, I am not a computer wiz, but willing to try.
Neil
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Friday, 2 May 2014, 17:11,
Jackie Boos <jackie@alittlesweet.ca> wrote:
Gentlemen,
I have received no indication of interest from anyone, to continue the maintenance of the MSB Old Boys' database. I am therefore ceasing all activity on this project, effective immediately.
Wishing everyone all success in everything that you do. May God bless us all.
Over and out.
Nigel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Kazim Abasali
Apr 30
Hi Nigel,
First of all thank you for all your hard work and dedication over the years. We definitely appreciate you. How can we support you going forward. Is it possible to phase out instead of an abrupt change over of personnel? Kindly let us know how we can break down the whole project into manageable parts. Since I am accustomed and have experience in this work, and did a database for Holy Cross College, talk some more with me. We can share some workload with you as the overall director. We at least want you to retain the honor our dear friend.
Blessings to you.......Kazim
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Glen Mckoy
Apr 29
My Dear, Sir Nigel,  
I feel sad to read of this job opening. 
Number #1. You cannot be replaced by one person.
Number #2. The age group you represent, someone will have to fill that gap. You know so many of these guys, who will accept emails from you, only a few of us have that privilege.
As time moves on, so does our personal choices in life, we must find peace in the present.
Nigel, you have given the energy of four knights, in one job. Oh Great List Maker, when the doors, to the Hall of Records are closed. It’s the end of the list.
A Secret, Sacred Copy will be kept in the Club, in the file, Pillars Of A Castle.
The Knight Of The Light, The List Maker. Written in Stone. Good Luck, to those of us whose names are on this List. Nigel, we will eat roti in Toronto again ha! ha! Will always be in contact, you can't get rid of me. Cheers One Love- in all our endeavours. 
Glen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel Boos
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 11:55 PM
Subject: I've looking for someone to take over my 'responsibilities'. Are you interested?
Gents,
I've been managing the MSB database ever since Ladislao started to reconnect with all our MSB OB's sometime back in 2001 or 2002. What began with 2 names has expanded to 1406 entries. We've found one another, discovered lost friends, chatted about all sorts of interesting and perhaps inconsequential stuff, reminded one another about long-forgotten adventures, personalities and idiocies, all of which formed part of our personal backgrounds, and all of which contributed to make us the men we are today. We've had a number of reunions in one or other location, we've had the pleasure of a Cadet training ship from Chile come to Trinidad under the command of one of our OB's and been able to walk the deck with him. And we've enjoyed the camaraderie which has developed between us.
But, sadly, the time has come for me to make a change. Our MSB database has been useful in keeping track of all that has been said and done, and it has been a labour of love to maintain it. But I can no longer afford the time needed to continue, and I would be very happy to pass on this responsibility to someone else who would like to try to maintain it.
If anyone would like to take over this job, please let me know, and we can open discussions on the matter. The pay is negligible, the effort to maintain is minimal, and the enjoyment is great. The pleasure of finding yet another OB and introducing him to the rest of us is wonderful and the knowledge that in some small way we've created something which can last – a record of personal facts to prove that once upon a time we actually existed - this too is personally gratifying.
So, please let me know if you have any interest in my offer.
With respect,
Nigel Boos
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
Photos:
6003 East St. George Sports Event p09
18889551LK14FB,
14DM0001DMIBELICE, Don Mitchell in Belice
03DM0010REUNION2003,




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.