Tuesday 10 June 2014

Circular No 657 Extra









Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 10 of June 2014 No. 657 Extra
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is the exchange regarding the invitation to Cardinal Felix.
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
May 25
Joe,
I would really appreciate a response to my last email of May 8th. Would you please let me know whether the signed letter to Cardinal Felix has yet been mailed to him? This is extremely embarrassing now, to think that a letter which was prepared and has been in your possession since early April has not as yet been mailed out. I have asked you a number of times since April 6th whether this has yet been done, and you have been busy, apparently, with home renovations. Perhaps, by now, these have ended and you can devote a little time to handling this matter?
Thank you in advance for your kind attention.
Nigel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2014-04-22, at 5:09 PM, Nigel Boos wrote:
Thank you for keeping me in the picture, Joe. As I've said before, I believe it is important that you, as President of the ASAA, should be the one to forward the letter to Cardinal Felix. Please let me know when it has been mailed.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-04-22, at 11:38 AM, Joe wrote:
Nigel,
I am very sorry. I am having a very very difficult time and haven't been able to keep my promise. I will attend to this matter with urgency, in a few days. You can still send it from your end. If you want, I will send you the Word file.
Sincerely,
Joe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-04-14, at 10:39 AM, Joe wrote:
Nigel,
I haven't gotten to bed as yet. I have been up since 9 am on Sunday after about 4 hours sleep, which has been typical of the last two weeks and I haven't been to work since then. I will try to complete it tomorrow.
Sincerely,
Joe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-04-07, at 9:14 AM, Nigel Boos wrote:
Joe,
Thanks for your response. I would prefer if the letter were mailed directly from Trinidad to Cardinal Felix, and I also believe that it should come directly from you, as President of the ASAA. I certainly do not believe that a document such as this should be emailed. I am disappointed that it has taken so long to leave your hands but I can understand that moving house is a stressful and time-consuming job, and that you have been otherwise occupied.
I can imagine the Cardinal's surprise at reading the report in the Catholic News that we have invited him to join us as an Honorary Member, when in fact, we have not as yet done so. Please do whatever you can to send the revised letter to him ASAP. 
Kindly confirm when the letter has finally been mailed.
Nigel
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-04-06, at 11:58 PM, Joe wrote:
Nigel,
No I haven't sent it because.
1. When I completed it initially I presumed that one of you (who were the sponsors of the idea) would have made arrangements to get it on to Cardinal Felix - - the document which I sent is a printable PDF format equally good for hard or soft copy. See my last email with the attachment.
2. When I got your further thoughts on the issue, it occurred to me that the document would be improved with the revision although there is, in my view, an unnecessary repetition somewhere in there.
I am having a hard and difficult move in/out together with renovations at our new place of residence and have absolutely no time.
The choices are: 
1.You may want to send the original document on as it is. 
2. I can try my best to complete it by this Friday: Hopefully by then the move would be over.
Sincerely,
Joe
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-04-06, at 10:43 AM, Bernard Tappin wrote:
Just letting you know that the Catholic News has published an article by Lara Pickford-Gordon re our honorary membership of Cardinal Felix, along with photograph. This can be read on the Catholic News web site, which I just googled.   
Bernard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
Feb 22
Gentlemen,
The results are in!
I've received 30 votes to my question re. Cardinal-elect Kelvin Felix. I had proposed that we should honour him by offering him an Honorary Membership as an Old Boy of the Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, in light of his former association with the MSB Seminary, to which the Abbey School owes its origins, and to his involvement with us as a member of the 1953 Football Team (below):
Probably, the most interesting comment I received was from Ken Austin, who stated:
1.         "In the photograph of the football team which includes Hans Hermans and Kelvin Felix , the individual on the extreme left is another seminarian, John Mendes who went on to be a bishop of the Archdiocese of Port-of-Spain. This strengthens my statement in my previous email that the students and seminarians considered themselves one. Perhaps this was also because Father Bernard, the Principal of the School, was also the Rector of the seminary and in fact was generally referred to by students as Father Rector".
But here are the other comments as well:
2.         Peter Gittens: Nigel, I e-mailed Archbishop Felix about a week ago, but still no reply. I can understand how overwhelmed he must been with so many congratulatory messages, so I was not expecting an immediate response. I will be attending the Consistory in Rome as part of the St. Lucia delegation, and I'll get my answer then.
Yes, meanwhile, let's consider him an "old boy". I've enjoyed the conversation. Peter.
3.         Don Mitchell:                         I am happy to vote: AYE.
4.         Harry Guildner:                      Yes
5.         Roger Maingot:                      You have my vote
6.         Robert Dumas:                       It will be an honour to be have Cardinal-electors Kelvin Felix be honoured as an Honorary Old Boy of the Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict.
7.         Michael Howard:                   How does one vote, especially YES
8.         George Laquis:                       Agreed
9.         Roger Henderson:                  OK with me. You have my vote
10.       Gordon Thavenot:                  I would definitely support that proposal
11.       Phillip Nassief:                       I am in agreement that the Cardinal-elect be regarded as an OB of the Abbey School and I fully support your proposal.
12.       Bernard Johnson:                   This sounds like a great idea, this is indeed a great honour for the Caribbean.
13.       Anthony Cintra:                     I vote in favour of honouring Cardinal elect Felix
14.       Garnet Diaz:                           My vote is definitely a YEAH
15.       Chris Knowles:                      You have my vote
16.       Chris Date:                             Delighted to be associated with this Honour being bestowed. I am in favour.
17.       Ian de Verteuil:                      I am definitely in favour of your motion as stated
18.       Cornel de Freitas:                   I do so agree wholeheartedly, that Cardinal-elect Kevin Felix be so honoured, and may he be Blessed with many graces...
19.       Salvador Coscarart:    Yes, of course, he is an Abbey Old Boy
20.       Brian Costelloe:                     Agreed
21.       John Abraham:                       I vote on the motion to honour Cardinal-elect as an Honorary OB of MSB.
22.       Lincoln Henry:                       I support your proposal
23.       Jaime Elias Benazar:              I´m with you and the other Old Boys to honour Cardinal Kelvin Felix as an Honorary Old Boy of the Abbey School, Mt St. Benedict.
24.       Ronald Torry:                         I support
25.       Norman Smith:                       Aye!
26.       Richard Anderson:                 My vote is YES!
27.       Bernard Tappin:                     I vote in favour.
28.       Steven Anderson:                  It is my honour to vote in favour and support of your Proposal, but if I might respectfully suggest that it would be us who would be honoured.
29.       Attila Gyuris:                         Although I personally never met Kevin Felix, but if you say he has an association with the school and if you are asking for my vote, I say yes, it would be an honour to have such a high ranking church authority to be counted among us. 
Here is a recent release from the Trinidad Catholic Press on Cardinal-elect Felix, for your information:
============
As he awaits instructions on the functions which Pope Francis wants him to fulfil, the first cardinal from the Antilles Episcopal Conference (AEC), Kelvin Felix, says he wants to make the Caribbean Church “better known in Rome”.
Cardinal Felix will be inducted into the College of Cardinals on February 22.
He was in Trinidad for a few days last week for follow-up care since having eye surgery last November. On Wednesday he visited with Archbishop Joseph Harris, and Apostolic Nuncio Archbishop Nicola Girasoli at their respective residences, in Port of Spain.
In a brief interview with the Catholic News at Archbishop’s House, Cardinal Felix said the news of his appointment has long sunk in.
“Although I never expected it, never anticipated it, nevertheless I have been able to take it in stride.”
Asked his views on the hopes and expectations that people of the region may have about his appointment, Cardinal Felix said he still had to get “the ins and outs” of all the duties of the cardinal. “One thing I will not be able to do is vote for a pope that’s all.”
What will he bring to the post? “That’s to be seen. What the Pope wants me to do. I have to wait to hear from him. I will definitely bring the Caribbean perspective. And that is the idea I suppose – two of us from the Caribbean, one from Haiti.”
Asked about the kind of concerns which he would highlight as a cardinal, he said, “I just want to make the Church in the Caribbean better known in Rome. They have very little idea where the Caribbean is, where is Dominica, where is St Lucia.”
Cardinal Felix said the late Archbishop of Port of Spain Anthony Pantin went to see the Pope one day and when he said he was Archbishop of Port of Spain the Pope thought this was in Spain. “So we have to make the Caribbean better known,” Cardinal Felix said.
Commenting on his journey to priesthood, he said being a priest was the only vocation he ever considered. From the age of seven he had an interest in becoming a priest. He said he used to watch the priests when he attended Mass at Our Lady of Fair Haven Cathedral in Roseau, Dominica. Cardinal Felix said he approached the person in charge of the altar servers expressing his interest in becoming an altar server. He was advised to first do his Holy Communion and then return. “The following year, after Holy Communion, I went back to him and I was coached in all the practices and learnt the prayers by heart.”
Cardinal Felix said, “I was very, very keen on serving and then I was close with the priests. Every month I went out to various districts with the priests to say Mass in the chapels, mission churches.”
At the age of ten or 12 he wanted to be a priest. He told the priest at the cathedral about his desire and it was discussed with the Bishop. “They said ‘that boy is too young, they thought of sending me to the pre-seminary – a seminary for young boys – but they said ‘give him a chance, the boy is too young, let him make up his mind’.”
At the age of 11, the boy destined to be cardinal won a scholarship for free secondary education at the grammar school but he remained close with the priests and was still fervent about being a priest. “They said as soon as I finished high school they would send me and so it was.” Two weeks after secondary school, at the age of 17, he left for the seminary and began studies in philosophy in January 1951. At age 23 he was ordained a priest.
Cardinal Felix has a zeal and love for serving people. He said, “To serve – service – that is what the priesthood calls for, a life of dedicated service, and the Holy Father has said now a cardinal is not a matter of position and power, and all that. It is love and service.”
Meanwhile, at its first meeting since the historic appointment, the AEC Permanent Board decided to invite Cardinal Felix to address the AEC Bishops at their Annual Plenary Meeting in May in Jamaica. The Diocese of Mandeville will host the meeting. Cardinal Felix will be the principal celebrant and homilist at the meeting’s Inaugural Mass at the St Paul of the Cross Cathedral, Mandeville.
 -------------------------------------
On the basis of this vote, and since I've received no more for the past few days, I believe it is now reasonable to approve the proposal.
I am therefore asking the ASAA to formally offer a note of congratulations to Cardinal Felix and to advise him formally of the decision of our organization to honour him as an Honorary Member of our School. May I therefore expect that the Management will follow up with this recommendation?
Sincerely,
Nigel Boos
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
FYI, here's the current status of the Database: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1717336/MSBOBs%20database.xlsx
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
Photos:
24766LK14FB
03SC1978SCOFCU Salvador Coscarart and Fr. Cuthbert
07LK3767LKEGRP, Dinner in Caracas
12UN0110POLO,  Polo shirt at the Mount shop






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.