Saturday 26 July 2014

Circular No 664









Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 26 of July 2014 No. 664
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Do you remember the Rogers brothers, Richard and Robert?
rrogers563@aol.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:46:58 -0400
Hello Lazslo
A)                  Yes, I would like to continue receiving the newsletter. I keep hoping that someday someone from my time at MSB (the disco seventies) will get in touch with you and announce themselves.
B)                  The attachments are fine. My server can handle them. I truly enjoy viewing them.
C)                  Lol … What do you mean fifty words or a check. I guess I always be at the Mount? Ok, I’ll write fifty words a year.
Richard G. Rogers
---------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Richard G. Rogers" <rrogers@comjem.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:25:18 -0400
Lazslo
Attached is a picture of my children and myself taken at the New York West Indian Day Parade, along with a brief bio of myself as part of the company I founded which does business in the US and West Indies.
My daughter’s is named Courtney Ama Rogers and she is 8 years old.
My son’s name is George Kwame Robert Rogers ad he is 7 years old.
Richard G. Rogers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Richard G. Rogers" <rrogers@comjem.com>  
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:40:04 -0400
Hello Gentlemen,
I am Richard G. Rogers and I attended the Abby as a boarding student with my brother Robert from 1975 to 1979.
I was recently in Trinidad where I revisited the school and met Father Cuthbert and Father Odo. (I hope I spelt it correct).
Anyway; I was informed by Father Cuthbert that there was a newsletter circulating from former Abbey boys and that a reunion was in the works.
I am currently the General Manager of my own company specializing in managing health care systems for Hospitals in the New York Tri-State area.
My brother and I would like to be placed on your mailing list.
I can be reached at richardgrogers@optonline.net and rrogers@comjem.com, rroger563@aol.com,
My brother Robert Rogers who attended The Abbey from 1976 through 1980 is currently a high school Dean in New York. His email address is rroger563@aol.com
-------------------
Pan American Risk Management Association
6950 Sandy Creek Court. Clarksville, MD 21029   
Phone: 443 ▪535▪ 9284
Richard Gordon Rogers
Richard G. Rogers is a business development executive with over 20 years of experience in providing services as both an executive and entrepreneur.
Richard G. Rogers successfully lead Pan American Risk Management Associates, LLC (PARMA) into Trinidad and Tobago and was instrumental in forming alliances with partners that enabled success in Trinidad and Tobago.
In addition to PARMA, Mr. Rogers is the CEO of Rogers Holdings LLC which is a real estate investment and management company in Trinidad & Tobago.  Mr. Rogers has held leadership positions in several medium sized businesses in the United States including Bear Stearns & Co. 
Mr. Rogers is a graduate of City Collage of New York.  He has served with distinction for the British Royal Military during peacekeeping service in Northern Ireland and Beirut, Lebanon during the peacekeeping efforts in 1981.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Remembering MOISES ODERSON
We remember well the Open House at the Abbey School, Mount Saint, Benedict, in October of 1973 when the house, filled will parents, friends, siblings, priests, and a full complement of day-boys and boarders assembled in the refectory for a celebration of academic and athletic achievements.          
Awards were given out for stellar performances in Math, Science, Literature, History, Religion, and for swimming, football, cricket and athletic performances.         
A side bar of that event included a program of entertainment produced by the Abbey schoolboys under the tutelage of Professor Llewellyn McIntosh.  
That date and moment stand out for one reason alone.    
It is a moment, that all in attendance will forever recall...the emergence of Moses Oderson as a musical talent of enormous potential.   
On that occasion, he announced his arrival to SUPER STARDOM on the Mount Saint Benedict.   
Moses could tell a story with wonderful embellishment… 
On that night at the Abbey there were usual sophomoric skits and plays; puppet shows, and lame comedic routines...And then there was Moses Oderson.        
Simon and Garfunkel at the height of their careers could not have exceeded MOSES' slow build up of their most famous ballad: 
Bridge Over Troubled Waters, into a crescendo that demanded and drew a STANDING OVATION from all in attendance on the Mount… 
What a moment for Moses, What a moment for Mackie's production, What a moment for the Abbey School, Mount Saint Benedict. The audience demanded MORE. MORE, MORE...Behind the drawn stage curtain Mackie drew Moses and his friends together....
Zephryn suggested Moses sing "BEN."  We, his friends since 1971 had heard it before and knew well that it would work…
Mackie reintroduced MOSES again...for a solo to a maddening, standing, overenthusiastic audience...and he delivered. Moses Oderson's rendition of "BEN", a Michael Jackson hit, blew the roof off the mother.......refectory...lights out a magnificent moment in the 100 years on the Mount.
It is a memory, those of us privileged to experience, will remember to our last day on earth. Sadly, Moses passed too soon . . .
It is a memory, those of us privileged to experience, will remember to our last day on earth. Sadly, Moses passed too soon . . .     
He is gone now from this life, but those of us who were honoured to be his friend and colleague, will remember him forever. He enriched our lives by sharing his prodigious talents. He enriched, too, the Abbey School, its history, and lifted all of the souls gathered on that magical night in October, 1973 on Mount Saint Benedict.
I'm trying to remember who wrote this beautiful eulogy on behalf of Moses Oderson. I'd love to have heard him sing his songs, but he was after my time. .
Would someone please remind me who wrote this eulogy. He is a very good writer himself, and I'd like to recognize his talents too.  Ed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
otto williams
otto.williams@yahoo.co.uk
Jul 24
Hello,
I attended the Abbey School from 1977-79 and am looking for assistance with a couple of thing 
Do you know anyone who could help me get a replacement school ring as I have lost mine in a burglary.
Is there any old boy who might have a school photo from the class of '79?
I would very much like to have one I am in London and am interested in setting up a "get together" in London for old boys living in the UK 
Thanks in advance 
Otto Williams
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Angel Gomez Ramos
Hi Glen.
Definitively.  It is more than a pleasure.
I have seen a lot of emails going back and forward regarding this year reunion.
I am planning to assist since for me flying from Kingston it's very easy.
You can count on me once you have a definitive date.
Preferably a week end, I can work to travel on a Thursday and return on Sunday.
If you are planning to come to Jamaica let me know, we can get together and have dinner.
Saludos, mi amigo
Angel Gomez Ramos
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: glenmckoy@hotmail.ca
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 08:23:48 -0300
Thank you Angel for your email, and so wonderful to read too.  Will try to make the reunion. I will let Don also know same.  
I will be in Negril, on Feb 9th for a wedding.  
Will be in contact for sure, even if by phone ha!
Cheers My Friend,
Best  Regards Glen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
Patrick Egan Baichoo
17 Mar
Hi Ladislao and others,
Your comment of me not wanting to write spurred me to write. Yes, I do remember our study hall connection. I was the “lookout” for the patrolling padres who, as they approached us, I would give you a nudge and you would put it away, return your books to the desk and become fully involved in your studies. After the patrol had passed, you resumed your electronic work.
You were busy making all sorts of electronic devices, one of which you constantly used in the yard, subtly turning it on and disrupting the radios of our buddies. I don’t know if anyone (save myself) ever found out what you were doing and that you were the cause of their radios losing reception.
Now this disclosure of mine about you will be known around the world. Good luck handling the flood of emails to you from those who encountered the electronic static interruptions.
On another note, I follow the email MSB chat and enjoy it very much. Due to my only being at Mount for 1 year, I did not get the chance to make many long term friends. Nigel Boos is the only one I “buddied” around with. Thank heaven he is in easy proximity to me.
Stay well and hopefully we can meet face to face soon.
God bless
Patrick Egan Baichoo, Broker of Record/President
pbaichoo@trebnet.com,
Maregan Realty Inc., Brokerage 416 439 5558
Visit us at www.mareganrealty.ca
-----Original Message----------------------------------------------------
From: Ladislao Kertesz [mailto:kertesz11@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:20 PM
Dear Cornel, Terrence
Good for writing about the meeting
None of the others did as yet and I presume that they are not going to write either.
But I need to get the contents of the little box, photographed item by item.
Also scan the documents.
The general photos of the items make my mouth droll. But they are not good for the general archive.
Especially the scout badges, only Jan has sent a couple of photos but the rest of the KING or QUEEN Scouts just do not remember anything and have nothing to show.
Not even memories of the Camps or others.
Finally, I get to see Egan, after 49 years.
He sat next to me during the last year at the study hall at the back row left.
He is on the list since 2002 but is not inclined to write, I am glad he is well and has a beautiful wife, please tell him.
I can only ask you to be an intermediate for this job, as you are closer than me.
Also remember that if you get an interesting email, please FW it to me if you believe that it can forward the cause.
This is the "material" I talked about.
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
Jun 17
Congratulations, Master Salah.
I am very proud of you and I believe you are thoroughly deserving of this fine award.
You have proven by your dedication, persistence and sense of purpose that you air 100% focused on your art and are ready to put your amazing talents at the service of humanity, through steel band music and all that goes with it. 
I wish you continued success and I believe that your name will forever be linked with the development of steelband music, whenever the history of Pan is being discussed.
With every good wish for the future and my sincere greetings to Adiylah.
Nigel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: sal_wils@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:50:25 -0300
Greetings, Everyone, 
Here are a few photos of Convocation Day June 13th 2014 at York University Toronto, Canada
This is one up for the "Pan Man". Masters (MA - Musicology)
Hoping to inspire the younger and not so young generations ...... 
Salah's quote of the day .... 
" Get to the highest level of education as early as you can ...but if you are like me ...know that it is never too late to graduate."
To the Global Pan Community ...we need more people in the pan world attaining higher academia
(God willing) I am ready to get to the higher level.
Best regards to all graduates of 2014
Salah Wilson
MA - Musicology
----------------------------------------------------------------.
Photos:
6003 East St. George Sports Event p20
11LM0001LMESCO, Luciano Mellon and Salvador Coscarart
13GE1524GEVMGR,  Glen Evelyn and Michael Gransaull
13KA0010KAL, Keith Allen






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.