Saturday 3 May 2014

Circular No 652



 





Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 3 of May 2014 No. 652
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Parang Fever from the Bandit.
And, sad news:
Past Prime Minister and President of Trinidad and Tobago, A.N.R. Robinson, has departed.
----------------------------------------------------
Nigel Boos
Apr 9
Thanks for the information, David.
May his soul rest in peace.
Nigel
A.N. R. Robinson has died.
Details as they come to hand
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Class 77
Henry Bailey
Apr 7
Hi Ladislao,
Thank you for your reply.
As I mentioned in my message, the photo was taken in 1972.
There was one student named Fenibo Guerra ("Bubbles") and he had a younger brother in a lower form ("1/2 Bubbles").
I may have some confusion by the way that the names were spaced.
I have tried to correct this in the list below by changing the spacing.
HB.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Apr 6, 2014, at 9:13 PM,
laszlo kertesz <kertesz11@yahoo.com> wrote:
Would any be of your era??
When was the photo taken
There is a Fenhibo and maybe a Guerra??
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Monday, March 31, 2014 2:45 PM,
Henry Bailey <hhbailey@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Ladislao,
I hope all is well with you and yours over in Venezuela.
Thank you for the great job that you have been doing in keeping these circulars going and keeping the community of Old Abbey boys alive.
I have been following your circulars for many years now and I really enjoy the photos. 
I was at the school from 1972 to 1977.
I have a photo of my Prep Class taken in 1972 which I have attached.
Unfortunately, I can no longer remember the names of some of the boys, and some names may not be spelled correctly.
I apologise for this. I have not seen very much in the circulars from my 'era'.
The following is a list of the boys that I can remember who would have been in the class of 1977.
There may be more - sorry if I have forgotten anyone.
Michael Alexis                       Hugh Cross                Dipnarine Maharaj
Robert Alfonso                      Wayne D'arcueil         Gregory Manson-Hing
Dinesh Arianayagam              Paul Davies                Kazim Mohammed
Henry Bailey                          Christopher Defour    Wazir Mohammed
Clement Baksh                       Wayne Farinha            Zulficar Mohammed
Edric Blackburn                     Wendel Farinha            Conrad Obrien
Kenny Boodoosingh              ?                                  Railwah
Geoffrey Carlin (RIP)            Peter Greenway          ?  Ramoutar
Terrence Cave                    Abdullah Hosein        Hemchand Ramsahai
Trevor Chadee                       Samad Ishmael           Peter Sammy
Adrian Chandler                    Jason Jennings            Stephen Sookdial
Alan    Chandler                     Stuart Knaggs            Marciel Tardieu
Victor Chin Kit                      Egbert Lawrence        Albert Villaurial
George Constantine               John Lum Young                              
Here is a list of boys who would have been with our class at some point over the period 1972-1977:
Myrza Baksh                Stephen Chee-Young
Michael Bach                Gem    Jefferson
Conrad Boney                        ? Oliverrie
Ronald Tam Wing             John E. Williams
Fenibo Guerra               Donald Williams
Wayne Lezamma        Gregory Foo Chong
Leslie Skinner             Noel Penny (RIP)
Hayban                       Michael Giannetti
Ronald Louis
Thanks again and Best Wishes - Henry Bailey.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
Mar 26
Gentlemen,
In light of the 2014 Grand Reunion being planned under the leadership of Don Mitchell, I would like to ensure that the information currently on file for each alumnus of our school is accurately represented on our dataBase.
I am therefore forwarding to everyone a copy of a short Profile Preparation sheet, with a request that IF THE INFORMATION CURRENTLY ON FILE FOR YOU IS INACCURATE, you might wish to correct it on the Profile Preparation sheet and return it to me.
IF THE RECORD WE HAVE ON YOU IS ACCURATE, THEN YOU NEED NOT FILL OUT A SHEET ON YOURSELF.
And now, here's the current database, for your information, review and approval.
Nigel
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com>
Date: 27 February 2014 14:43
Subject: FW: Today we remember Sir Roberto Lipavsky /Margarita
Hola Mi Hermano Y Amigo Sir Manuel,
I can depend on you at all times, when it comes to the Mount, you are always paying attention.
I was away in Negril Jamaica two weeks ago.  
Please forgive me, as that email never got to me of our brother Sir Roberto Lipavsky, passing away two weeks ago, maybe Sir Laz. Sir Freddy or Sir Nigel, may know more of this, 
I am sorry to read this news, as he was our contact in Margarita, I have read of the Mount boys getting together there at times.  
May the Lord Bless our Brother, Muchas Gracias for informing us of this important notice.  
As the Eagles flies over the Abbey School today, I ask my brothers to remember our Brother Sir Roberto, in their prayers. (Re: 58 Promotion of Isaias Urban Bodington, please tell us more). 
Yours Faithfully, Glen McKoy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: manjosepra@hotmail.es
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:39:33 +0000
Subject: Re: FW: Today We Honour Our Brother Sir Oscar Schnell.
Dear Glen: 
Haven't read any condolences regarding Roberto Lipavsky's passing away two weeks ago in Margarita, Nueva Esparta.
Am I mistaken? He belonged to the 58 promotion of Isaias Urban Bodington among others!
My regards,
Manuel 
-----Original Message-------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:18:42 
My Dear Clara & Sir Nigel,  
Thank you to much for sharing this email. 
This is exactly what belonging to an Alumni means, if it’s worth anything,  
I remember discussing our Brother Sir Oscar Schnell, we had his name as one of the originals from Venezuela, but we had no clue of locating him.
When we cannot do no more, we leave it in God's hands.  
So now I read, his daughter our Dear Clara, found us in 2010, and our Brother Oscar made the full Circle of a Knight, even in death. 
He made the contact. These are the stories we will never forget. 
A Brotherhood that started in the 1944 - 2014. Lest we forget.
Today we honour this great connection that was made, by one of the original students from Venezuela.
A good example to the hundreds of all the great Venezuelans & friendships, that would follow him in time.  
Their contribution to the Abbey School Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad & Tobago, is still felt with the connections we share right here right now.  
We must Praise & Thank, this wonderful Lady Clara for a job well done, and I am quite sure, she made some one very special, Smile.  
If you see a tear or two in our eyes, it’s only Joy, every name on our list, of this great school, we try to account for, it’s the least we can do.   
Only yesterday a few of us were discussing the situation in Venezuela and Sir Oscar shows up.
We Thank & Love You for this Special Gift.   Muchas Gracias Senora Clara. - God Blessed You My Dear.
Best Regards - Glen McKoy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Oscar Schnell
From: nigelboos
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 04:55:45 -050
Dear Clara,
Thank you very much for these delightful photographs of your father, our own Oscar Schnell (MSB Class of 1949). They have suddenly brought him back to life for me, when I see him, for the first time, as a handsome young man in the 1950's, dressed in some sort of uniform (most obviously, Venezuelan), then in the 1960's relaxing with his baby and teaching him / her to take the first steps, then in the 1990's, as he enjoyed a supper with his family (I see no sign in this picture of a young man, which leads me to believe that the baby must have been a daughter, rather than a son - perhaps the baby was in fact you yourself - this would make sense) and then I see him at last as an old man, relaxing at a game somewhere.
Certainly, we appreciate receiving these lovely images of a life beyond Mt. St. Benedict, and I presume that the older members of our alumni would like to see them as well, so I am forwarding them to the Old Boys of the 1940's as well. Perhaps the pictures might evoke memories long forgotten and elicit a response from someone.
You've asked me for some pictures of the 1940's at MSB. I regret that I do not have many, but here's one which has suddenly become relevant. Your dad would have known some of these young men, as he was a footballer back in 1949 and must have represented our school at the sport. This photograph is of the same College Team of 1953, and why it is "suddenly relevant" is that it includes the future Cardinal Kelvin Felix (back row, standing, tallest chap), the first person from the Caribbean, who was raised by Pope Francis to the College of Cardinals only 4 days ago in Rome.
Once again, thank you very much.
Nigel Boos
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2014-02-25, at 11:57 AM, clara wrote:
I am re-sending to you because I received a failure notice, you can forward to whom you like. 
Nigel,
I have attached some photos of my father, some old, some are prior to his passing 9/24/2009. I will send his obituary for you all to read. He married my mother Lola Schnell in 1961 and were married until his passing. He had 3 daughters, Amanda, Noelie and me, Clara. He also had 3 grandchildren, Alycia and Marquis Gamargo and Nicole Crawford. 
He was very proud of his soccer/football abilities and told of many stories playing against older and stronger boys but still winning. He taught my daughter, Alycia, some of his fancy foot work. :) My father worked hard all of his life and provided well for his family. He "retired" in the early 90's but because of his need to interact with others and enjoying being with other people he took a part time job at Walmart. First as a door greeter then working in the gardening center. He worked for 15 years at Walmart. He was still working prior to his passing. He died of lung cancer @ 75. He is missed but not forgotten. 
He has brothers and sisters that still reside in Venezuela but some have moved to other countries to get relief from the turmoil there.  
I hope this gives you all a little more insight to his life after leaving St. Benedict.
Clara 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 7:09 PM
Hello, Clara, 
It is good to hear from you. 
He would have been a little before my time. 
But, I am going to copy your message below to our chronicler, Ladislao Kertesz. 
I am sure he will put you inquiry in one of the Circulars he posts on the Blog. 
If there is anyone from the 1940s reading it, I am sure they will get in touch with you.  
Nigel Boos may even know who to send your message to since they will have come from the same period. 
I look forward to hearing more about your dad in the weeks to come. 
Sincerely, 
Don Mitchell 
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: clara 
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 8:59 PM 
Hello Nigel and friends, 
I came across a blog for Mount St. Benedict while I was searching the internet for some memories of my father, Oscar Schnell.
It seems back in 2010 you all were discussing a young stout man who played forward on the football team.
I believe you were referring to my father.
I would like to hear more about his past, if we're are speaking of the same person.
My father’s birthday was 1/17/1934 and came to the school when he was 10 years old to learn English. 
If this name is familiar to you please respond.
I am sure you would have many stories to share because my father was a character. 
Sincerely, 
Clara Gamargo
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
Photos:
6003 East St. George Sports Event p02
03SC1941SCOGRP, Salvador Coscarart, Johnny Canalones y Pedro Coscarart
03CR8350GRPDIN,  Dinner 2003 event
72HB0001CLASS1977,  Henry Bailey´s photo of his class





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.