Saturday 8 February 2014

Circular No 640







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 8 February 2014 No. 640
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Subject: RE: GOD BLESS YOU OUR DEAR FR. ODO
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:14:57 +0000
My Dear Brother Sir Fr. Harold,
I was so sorry to hear the news last night.
Our brother Sir Anthony Lucky phoned me last night and told me.
I was about to email Sir Nigel and then I read your email.
Fr. Odo taught me math from the first day I was on the Mount, always a calm cool & collective Monk, walking in the Light.
I am so sorry we did not have the time to honour him, as a few of us were thinking of sharing this with him, in the upcoming Reunion, for the educational impact he had on so many of us,
This is a great lost to all of us in the Club, an original Grand-Master Knight, Monk, Father, Brother and one of the Original Seven from my time  MSB- 1967- 1972.
Today, all flags will fly half-mast on that mountain.
As the Eagles flies over the Abbey Church, their tears are in the rain, that will fall upon this place, as our Brother, The Monk Of Maths, Fr. Odo, gives us his last blessing as he bids us farewell, until thy kingdom comes.
Your Faithfully Glen McKoy.       LONG LIVE THE MOUNT.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 05:58:35 -0500
Subject: Re: ABBEY SCHOOL - THE MOVIE AND TV SERIES
From: frharold12@gmail.com
Fr. Odo taught me Scripture when I was a Novice.
His deep baritone tremolo voice was a unique gift that we enjoyed as he sang on the Schola Cantorum.
Fr. Odo van de Heijdt, former prior of the Monastery of Our Lady of Exile on Mt. St. Benedict, passed away on Sunday February 2nd after he has been ailing for some time.
We wish his family and his brothers in the order of St. Benedict the peace of Christ that they may be guided and comforted through this time of grief.
Additional information concerning the funeral will be released in the days upcoming.
Fr. Harold Imamshah
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Glen and everyone ….
In Sept. we, Old Mount Boys, had dinner with Fr. Odo in Caracas.
He was tired but with a lot of strength to get well.
I send you all a picture at the dinner table with us ¡
All the best to you all ¡!
God bless you all ¡!
Alfredo Montiel Bezara
MSB  1967-1972
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
May God rest his soul.
I am trying to remember Fr. Odo from my time at the Mount (1964-1969).  
Perhaps was he the one who used to ride a Lambretta motor scooter up and down the hill?
(along with Fr. Augustine, who I know also rode a scooter).
What subject(s) did he teach and in which Forms?
Thanks,
Attila Gyuris
MSB 1964-1969
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 02:26:15 -0500
May the good Lord Bless & Comfort him...
Hudson, Lynda & Gino McKoy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 11:21:51 +0000
Hola, Attila,  
It was around 1968 or 69, when we started new maths, and Fr. Odo introduced it to us, you might have left already.
He taught all the math subjects.
I think he did have a scooter.
Cheers Glen.
-----------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 22:34:23 +0000
Dear Allan,  
I can confirm this is the notice that was sent out. Fr, Odo, funeral will be at 10:00 am on Thursday at the Abbey Church.
Thank you for your email. It is so wonderful to hear you will attend.
We will be with you in spirit my brother.  
Best Regards - Glen McKoy.  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 17:17:57 -0500
From: dallanharris@gmail.com
Dear Glen,
Thanks for letting me know about Fr. Odo's passing.
I'm very sorry to hear, but know he's in a better place. 
Is the funeral this coming Thursday at 10:00am?
I saw this in an email but will like to confirm, and if so, I'll be able to attend.
Thanks,
Best regards,
Allan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 14:11:11 +0000
My Dear Sir Allan,     (Knight-Pilot),
We really must thank you for your email and your time, and we are thinking of you also.
So nice if you can visit with Fr. Cutty, please give us some feedback on that meeting and do let him know, we are sorry we cannot just drop in and chat with him and Fr. Augustine, however their names are always in our conversations.
We send them our love.
Three Cheers For Our Fr. Odo.
Best Regards - Glen McKoy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: dallanharris@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 00:05:16 +0000
Hi Glen,
Thanks for the confirmation.
I'm definitely going and will think of you brothers who will be there in spirit.
I have been trying to visit Cutty for so long now, and because of my schedule I've been unable too.
Only last week I said to myself I have to find a day this week not knowing it would be Fr Odo's funeral that will take me there.
I'm glad I will be able to pay my respect to him.
Best regards,
Allan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 21:25:36 +0000
My Dear Brother & Friend Sir David,    
I told you it was going to rain ha! ha!
After reading your email, I could feel the tears in my eyes.
I was not there, but your summary of the ceremony is all we needed to feel near, I must thank you so much for this, your time and dedication to our Brotherhood.
I think all should read this,
Welcome to The Club, Mis Amigos.  Long Live The Mount.
Adios, Glen McKoy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 15:37:14 -0500
From: dallanharris@gmail.com
Hi Glen,
I've attached a programme for your perusal.
This morning was very rainy, and you would never have thought that we were in the middle of our dry season.  The mass was very nice and officiated by Abbot John Pereira.  He spoke of Fr. Odo's time at the Mount where he gave 60 yrs of his life.  Coming to T'dad as a young handsome 23 year old, probably leaving behind some young Dutch girl broken hearted, to give his life to doing God's work.  Though he was born in the Netherlands, carried a Dutch passport, and received a pension from the government there, he was ''Trini to de bone.''  He loved the game of cricket, and felt more pain when West Indies lost a game than he felt during his illness.  There was laughter during his eulogy.  Fr. Odo died as the Pryor of the Mount. 
There were about 15 'Old Boys’ who attended the funeral, some from probably your time, my time, and those that were there at the end of the Abbey school.  I sat next to Jean Ambrose who said to us today that the only time that he ever saw Fr. Cuthbert shed a tear was the day he came to tell them that they were closing the school.  Fr. Cuthbert met us after the funeral up at the retreat house to chat.  Frail, but still determined to walk with his stick gave us about 20 mins of his time to speak, take pictures and pray with us.  He mentioned Fr. Odo in his prayer saying that the showers today were his blessing's on us  I told him that you sent your love and that you as well as other 'Old Boys’ who couldn't be present today would be there in spirit.  'Khaki' was one of the 'Old Boy's there with us that chanted ''Long live the Abbey school'' to Cutty's delight. 
Two names that I remember of the Old Boy's that could have been from your time was Younis Ali and Joe Alexander.  I'm sure they were more, but they didn't join us for the pictures taken with Cutty.  Joseph Habib from my time promised to forward the pics to me, so as soon as I get them will do the same. 
Just a bit of our small re-union today.  
Best regards,
Allan 
-----Original Message----------------------------------------------------
From: Sterwest Jon@sterwest.com
Sent: Sat, Feb 8, 2014 3:50 pm
Subject: RE: Re: Fr. Odo 2nd set of photos
Thank you for the photos which reminded me of Fr Benedict’s funeral I attended about 5 years ago when I lived in TT.
I never knew Fr Odo in my day since he was still Bro Odo and passing by with the other brothers.
But of course I wish him an enjoyable journey to the bigger, better world where he is sure to go and where I expect to meet up with my Dad (and others) one day.
FYI, Mum is still here at 92.
It was amazing to see Fr Augustine still there at the altar in the photos in his poor physical condition.
I greatly admire Fr Augustine in the same league with Fr Benedict, Fr Cuthbert, Fr Bernard and Fr Ildefons, all of whom I learned a lot from.
I cannot say the same for many others but they were enough to make MSB a great experience.
Regards
Jon
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Glen Mckoy [mailto:mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Sent: 07 February 2014 22:17
Subject: FW: Re: Fr. Odo 2nd set of photos
2nd set of photos for the Circular/ Blog,  Cheers glen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:10 PM,
Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com> wrote:
Muchas Gracias, Mi Hermano y Mi Amigo, Sir Sarkis,  
I will send this out to our Latin Knights, as it is all in Spanish, but these photos are unique,
Lest we forget, today a group of our brothers will be meeting, for a ceremony at the Abbey Church Mount Saint Benedict, to bid a last farewell to Our Teacher, Brother, Monk, Great Grand Master Knight- Father Odo.  
As we walk in Spirit with our Brothers, who are attending, Three Cheers, Forever-One, Long Live The Mount.
Yours Faithfully - Glen McKoy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 15:25:11 -0500
I too am saddened at the death of Fr. Odo, and I think we should all pray that God will invite many more your men to consider spending their lives as ministers of the good news and as priests at his altar. 
With the passing of Fr. Odo, Trinidad has now lost 3 priests during January 2014:
Fr. Michel de Verteuil C.S.Sp.                      Died Jan 5, 2014
Fr. Gerry Farfan C.S.Sp.                               Died Jan 28, 2014
Fr Odo van de Heijdt O.S.B.                        Died Feb 2, 2014
Perhaps we could all join in a little prayer for the happy repose of their souls, and to ask God to bless Trinidad with many more calls to his service as priests and religious.
Here's a prayer we can use (taken from the EWTN website):
God, our Father
You will that all people be saved
and come to the knowledge of your truth.
We beg you to send labourers into your harvest
And grant them the grace to speak your word
With all boldness, so that your word may be spread and glorified,
And so that all nations may know you, and him who you have sent,
Your son and our Lord, Jesus Christ.
Amen!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Michael D'Ornellas
Feb 4 
Amen. He was a good man and he is now with his Lord & Saviour …
May he rest in peace. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:18:48 +0000
My Dear Brother Joe,  
Thank you for your email on the funeral arrangements.   
Joe, I was a distraction in all classes and would be in trouble at all times,  ha! ha! but I could never say I felt what you experienced. 
I remember Fr. Odo always in a good mood.  
I can still remember his smile. 
My dear friend Joe, I respect you, we went to the Mount at the same time.  
Please give Fr. Cuthbert & Fr. Augustine, our best regards and love, from the boys who live too far away, and will not be there to part take in this ceremony. 
May God Bless Us All, Amen.
Yours Faithfully, Glen McKoy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb 3
Dear All, 
Fr. Odo died on Sunday 2nd February 2014. His funeral will be on Thursday 6th February 2014 at Mount Church. Time 10:00
Don't forget to say the prayer (as per attachment) and that of your own for him.
Please circulate to those concerned.
Regards
Gary 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: bermentmcdowald@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 21:58:43 +0000
My Dear Brothers,
It is with regret that I have the duty to inform you of Fr. Odo's passing.
His funeral will be at 10:00 am on Thursday at the Abbey Church.
Fr. Odo was a frequent reproach to me, in all my failings.
I found it strange that he and "Khaki" became close.
Colm Imbert and Winston Ramsahai were two boys that Fr. Odo had a soft spot for.
there was much that I could have learnt from him, but I was afraid and as Fr. Benedict told me in his death bed "impulsive and strong willed".
We are all proud and arrogant in some way, genuinely believing ourselves superior and in the right and I suspect that we are always wrong. 
I hope that my moment of clarity may be longer in coming and that (before then) I will become better at become a solace to the hearts of all; a balm to the downtrodden, destitute and those otherwise in need.
Sincerely,
Joe
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP30MI6512, Mount Inside
20140206LK14FB, Fr. Odo
20140206LK14FB1, Fr. Odo
07RE0186GRP, Dennis Gurley, Rafeal Echeveria and Henry Laughlin





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.